Saturday, 19 May 2012

Brides (maid) zillas

This week at work has been a hectic one for one of my co-workers as today (Saturday) she is getting married. In a similar way to me she is also in her mid 30's and opting for a simple, informal (ish) wedding.

She also had a moment on Friday where her 21 year sister bridesmaid called to inform her at 11am while travelling on her way down to the wedding from Wales that she "didn't like the bridesmaid dress so had just bought another one"

Now the original dress had been selected for 3 months, there are 2 bridesmaids - her and the brides best friend (also in her 30s) and at no point during the run up to the big day had she indicated any dislike of said dress. Now we are all aware of the phrase bridezilla but bridemaidzilla? This is a new one on me....

I can appreciate that at 21 she a) has no concept that within in said big day frankly she is inconsequential. Her onyl role is to turn up, be supportive, smile at the correct times and wish nothing but love and joy to her sister. No-one (other than maybe her parents and a boyfriend) are going to really give two hoots what she's wearing. So to throw all her toys out of the pram like a spoilt child is just unforgivable if you ask me - but then hey I don't have any sisters!!!

Thankfully what I do have are 3 fantastic friends who are stepping up to make sure I a) turn up on time and b) have a fab time at my wedding. So as you will hear about all of them lots in this blog I thought I should introduce Team Loulou....

Maid of Honour - Mrs L: Mrs L and I have known each other for about 12 years now. While she and I are very different in many ways (she's married, has two gorgeous daughters and is allergic to cats, I live in sin (ho ho) and have a newly acquired kitten called Boots) but she is an absolute rock. Couldn't live without her. She makes me laugh, we have so much in common and she is going to be an absolute star for any wedding plan type stuff!!

Bridesmaid 1 - Miss B: Now Miss B and I went to school together (in the middle ages) so have known each other really since we were 11. We didn't become friends though until we left school and went to 6th form college. And she has been my best friend ever since, despite having to put up with a lot she always tells me like it is and is a superstar in a crisis. When I split with a long time ex she was the one I ran to and she helped put me back together. Without her I certainly would not be where I am now

Bridesmaid 2 - Miss L: A new friend...Miss L was the friend who "advertised" Mr P online at the same time that Mrs L kindly advertised me. So without her Mr P and I would never have met (yep we are an internet dating couple...) Miss L lives in my newly adopted home town (I moved in with Mr P about 2 years ago) and through her I've met lots of lovely people and enjoyed many a coffee and cake morning. Being so influential in how Mr P and I got together it seemed only right that she should be in the wedding that she helped facilitate! Since we got engaged and she agreed to bridesmaid duties her own Mr right has since asked for her hand in marriage so she will also be planning a wedding soon! In fact we have a mini wedding epidemic occurring next year...lots of shopping opportunities for nice dresses beckons...

Anyway that is the role call of the lovely ladies who will be playing the Angels to my Charlie (not sure that analogy works but it made me chuckle)

Now one thing that did worry me was with our wedding being a relaxed barn wedding will 3 bridesmaids be too much? Will it take us longer to traipse up the aisle than it will take for us to actually get married? Frankly after worrying about this for a bit I decided Phoey. It's our day and these gorgeous ladies are so important to myself and Mr P that who cares what anyone thinks...and you know what if anyone does this it's mad then they can bring a packed lunch as I'm not paying for their buffet place....but that's another story!

So how many bridesmaids do you think is about right? Is 3 a bit much or have you decided to have a whole troop supporting you on your big day?

Lx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Loulou. I am going to a friends wedding in September and she has three bridesmaids. I think the number of bridesmaids is not that important, its making sure you have the people you want around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For us, it was just a matter of who it was important to have with us on the big day. I have five bridesmaids, which I thought was a lot until I looked around and read about people who have had closer to ten!!!

    But, my fiance will only have three groomsmen- we weren't sure about having a different count for each of us, but we've planned it perfectly so it won't look awkward.

    Like I said, it's all about what you want, who you want, and what works for YOU!

    ReplyDelete